Clogged Bathtub The Animated Series

Intelligent discourse happens here. Bring your sharpest ideas to the table and we'll see who wins the battles of wits
miles

Mastodon: https://den.den.nohost.me/@miles

Clogged Bathtub The Animated Series

Post by miles »

Here is my advice for anyone out there with a bathtub that doesn't drain (or drains slowly). But first, I need to go through your options so you can fully appreciate the toiling and suffering and utter studious nature and intellect i needed to come up with the solution.

When your bathtub doesn't drain, these are your options.

1. Use drain cleaner (terrible for the environment)
2. Use a drain snake (these have been consistently useless for me)
3. Plunge it (EVEN THIS has problems. my god)
4. Call a plumber or landlord (LOL)

I've lived in a few different apartments and they usually have this design, with an overflow drain on the front of the tub.

image.png
image.png (52.27 KiB) Viewed 1372 times

Here's the internal view of how the drain works, plus a helpfully labelled pube clog.

image.png
image.png (42.57 KiB) Viewed 1372 times

For my bathtub and the others I've tried a (consumer level) drain snake on, it never fucking works. Based on my experience, the drains have to meet in that T shape because this is what happens:

image.png
image.png (59.44 KiB) Viewed 1372 times
image.png
image.png (63.62 KiB) Viewed 1372 times

If the T joint was rotated 90 degrees in either direction, the snake would be able to get to the clog from at least one of the drains, but plumbers and home designers are too busy sucking and fucking and huffing their shitty apartment paint to care about me or my feelings i guess

The snake is a very rigid coil of metal. It physically can't make it around that kind of bend. It can curve in one direction, it can't do the kind of zig-zag maneuver required to get down there.

Here's what happens if you try to plunge it:

image.png
image.png (75.43 KiB) Viewed 1372 times

All the suction from the plunger is just making air get pulled through the overflow drain. When you plunge, if it just feels like you're moving air around, it isn't going to accomplish anything. You need to seal the overflow drain somehow.

If your overflow drain is designed in a way that lets you plug it, then you can just do that and plunging will work as long as the seal in the overflow drain isn't rotted. All the tubs I've seen don't have that though, they are just permanently open. In that case, the best thing to do is to get a plastic container that's the right shape and size and cover the whole overflow drain with it. I use something that used to have some kind of cheese in it I think. Something like a sour cream container or other plastic tupperware type bowl could work as long as its the right size. Bathtubs usually have a little curve to them so this will probably only work with a circular container, not square.

image.png
image.png (65.82 KiB) Viewed 1372 times

I would say that this is "kind of sucky" to do. You need to be able to push the tupperware onto the drain hard enough to make a seal AND plunge the bathtub at the same time, but the suction will help the seal if your container has the correct fit.

This method is way faster than using drain cleaner, which sometimes just doesn't work anyway and is really bad for the environment. It's pretty satisfying to plunge it real good and see all the black sludge come up. Be careful plunging, ESPECIALLY if you tried drain cleaner recently. Shit can get splashed onto your face and drain cleaner will just melt your eyeball clean off not even to mention the bacteria

- "I'm A Cyan Kinda Guy"
"Follow the rules. Or face the banhammer"
-- Webmaster Miles
umbreon

Re: Clogged Bathtub The Animated Series

Post by umbreon »

can i do this to my sink
miles

Post by miles »

umbreon wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:19 am can i do this to my sink
Yes and there's actually sink tech I can share too

image.png
image.png (27.39 KiB) Viewed 1339 times

If you have a 2 sink setup like this, the same thing can happen where air just comes in from the other drain. Just plug the sink and plunge the other one. If the drain plug is under a bunch of dishes you can also flood the sink with water and that will give it a little seal too.

- "I'm A Cyan Kinda Guy"
-- Webmaster Miles
miles

Post by miles »

UPDATE: Literally the DAY after I make this thread a bathroom sink clogged and plunging it doesn't work. I feel like an absolute fool

- "I'm A Cyan Kinda Guy"
-- Webmaster Miles
umbreon

Post by umbreon »

it's back to the drawing board with this one :/
Poo

Post by Poo »

i have had to plunge my sink before and my toilet but not the tub. or maybe one time i tried plunging my tub but it didn't do right so i just bought draino and had to dump it down my tub every few weeks because my hair is all falling out and would get into the drain :surprised:
miles

Post by miles »

Poo wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:42 am i have had to plunge my sink before and my toilet but not the tub. or maybe one time i tried plunging my tub but it didn't do right so i just bought draino and had to dump it down my tub every few weeks because my hair is all falling out and would get into the drain :surprised:
That is so fucked.

- "I'm A Cyan Kinda Guy"
-- Webmaster Miles
marty

Mastodon: https://den.den.nohost.me/@marty

Post by marty »

god, the sink which was clogged hasn't been plungable or snakable, and draino has been sitting in it for a couple days now.

edit: I remember seeing "use a wet/dry shop vac to suck the shit out" as an option. that might be worth considering, otherwise we gotta call the landlord.
Poo

Post by Poo »

marty wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:10 pm god, the sink which was clogged hasn't been plungable or snakable, and draino has been sitting in it for a couple days now.

edit: I remember seeing "use a wet/dry shop vac to suck the shit out" as an option. that might be worth considering, otherwise we gotta call the landlord.
sounds pretrty yucky... is it fixed now
marty

Post by marty »

I had to use a toilet auger like this to get the clog partially dislodged. Then I poured a bunch of draino down the pipe. Image

BTW: For sinks, make sure to plug the little holes when plunging to get a good seal.
miles

Post by miles »

marty wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:25 pm I had to use a toilet auger like this to get the clog partially dislodged. Then I poured a bunch of draino down the pipe.
Marty wins a thread award for successfully unclogging the sink, congratulations! You have been awarded with this badge:

image.png
image.png (845 Bytes) Viewed 1391 times

I Plunged The Sink

- "I'm A Cyan Kinda Guy"
-- Webmaster Miles
Poo

Post by Poo »

HOORAY!! :mrgreen: im glad marty did it
marty

Post by marty »

new problem, water from clogged kitchen sink get's pushed into the dishwasher when plunging.
image.png
image.png (60.23 KiB) Viewed 1221 times

You can take off the little J-bend piece and see if there's a plug in there. (remember to have a bucket underneath to catch the water.)
image.png
image.png (210.8 KiB) Viewed 1221 times
The clog was deeper than the J-bend, so I had to plunge it out, but first disconnect the drain hose from the diswasher and plug the hole in the pipe where the dishwasher drain hose connects.
image.png
image.png (39.11 KiB) Viewed 1221 times
tequt

Mastodon: https://denden.world/@tequt

Post by tequt »

i will show this thread to a plumber /threat