Open Source Software Wishes

Intelligent discourse happens here. Bring your sharpest ideas to the table and we'll see who wins the battles of wits
miles

Mastodon: https://den.den.nohost.me/@miles

Open Source Software Wishes

Post by miles »

A thread for your hopes and dreams of features and bugfixes for whatever open source software you use.

I mainly wanted to make this to be ungrateful and complain about free software, but I encourage others to share problems you have. Other than praying for you, I might be able to make a fix to the problem. I've added features to programs I've used if it would be convenient for me in the past, so if you have an issue/feature I might be able to help.

--

~ My Qualms.. ~

:geek: Krita: The text tool is dreadful.

It's complex enough to make it slower to use than ms paint's text tool, but provides nearly the same level of control. You can't turn off anti-aliasing, :exclaim:NO WORD WRAP:exclaim:, no text-on-path, etc..

:geek: Krita: The "mirror" line visually snaps every half pixel, but it doesn't actually.

If you want to make pixelart thats symmetrical, the mirroring point has to be between pixels. You can't have this:
xΦx
it has to be like this:
xo|ox

:ugeek: Blender: The video-editor is extremely unfinished.

I don't know how many people use it, but I think blender's UI is fucking astounding and would make an amazing video editor. If they stole ideas from sony vegas (overlapping clips auto-crossfade, drag sides of clips to fade-in/out, drag top of clip to change volume/opacity) and included basic features like (comprehensible) clip speedup/slowdown, audio/video reversal, it would be improved a lot.

I hope they don't just remove the feature. There aren't any video editors for linux that come even close to sony vegas.

:ugeek: Blender: You can't have a 1px wide brush in the texture paint :roll: :roll: :roll:

The brush size value you're changing is the radius, which has a minimum value of 1. So the smallest brush you can have without doing something dumb* is 2 pixels wide. It makes pixelart textures a pain in the ass to make.
*Click here to learn what the dumb thing is
You need to make a custom "brush falloff" curve. They're supposed to be for giving the brush different types of softness/hardness, or a bokeh-type effect, but you can also use it to make the brush half as wide by making the curve bottom out halfway through.

:surprised: GTK (ubiquitous Linux GUI): The fucking file picker dialog doesn't have image thumbnails!!! Every file explorer I've seen in linux does, but when a program brings up a dialog for you to pick a file (like uploading a pic to discord or a website or whatever) it doesn't show the images.. The last time I used it, it had very tiny thumbnails, like 20 pixels wide, and you couldn't zoom in.

This has been such a disgusting problem for so long, it became a meme: Someone wrote a wiki article about it. The bug-report turned 18 years old this year.
.... .... ... *reads the article* ...
HOLY FUCK THEY'RE ACTUALLY FIXING IT??????? OKAY...

:sad: Firefox (Developer Tools): You can't use the scroll-wheel to change a number in a CSS property value. The one thing that I can even say is different about chromium lol (You can still use arrow keys, but only if the full value is short enough to not make a new-line in the editor)

These projects are so large that it's beyond my skill level to begin to comprehend how to fix these issues, even the small ones..believe me I've tried..

- "I'm A Cyan Kinda Guy"
"Follow the rules. Or face the banhammer"
-- Webmaster Miles